The Best DJ Equipment For Beginners – The ultimate guide with 4 different DJ Setups!
CD media players, turntables, DJ controllers, DJ mixer, headphones, DJ software, and the best DJ equipment for beginners in four different DJ setups…
You can always head to the nearest music equipment store and find available DJ equipment for rent. However, owning your own DJ setup is preferable for many reasons. The best DJ equipment in the market is now more affordable than ever. With a variety of brands, tools, and different DJ setups to approach and find the best suitable choice for you.
The proper DJ equipment for beginners is more than just a CD player and a DJ mixer. DJ quality headphones, DJ controllers, turntables, DJ software, and many exciting and unique setups to try and pick the one that fits your needs.
What equipment does a DJ need? Which is the basic DJ equipment setup for beginners?
- PAIR OF CD-PLAYERS / PAIR OF DJ TURNTABLES
- DJ MIXER
- DJ HEADPHONES
- PAIR OF MONITOR SPEAKERS / DJ SPEAKERS
This is the setup every beginner should start with. All the essentials and perfect to learn the fundamentals of DJing, mixing, and beat-matching. On the other hand, there is the attractive option of a DJ controller and a DJ software. A very budget-friendly option with tremendous potentials.
Some of the most common DJ setups in the electronic music scene
SETUP-A: PAIR OF CD PLAYERS + DJ MIXER
SETUP-B: PAIR OF TURNTABLES + DJ MIXER
SETUP-C: DJ CONTROLLER + PC/LAPTOP with DJ SOFTWARE
SETUP-D: DJ CONTROLLER/TURNTABLE/CD PLAYER + AUDIO INTERFACE + PC/LAPTOP with DJ SOFTWARE
There are plenty of options out there on DJ equipment for beginners. For every available budget and a variety of brands and characteristics. Since the market for DJ equipment is huge, and new models come out often, I made significant research and ask professionals who currently use this equipment.
We will examine each DJ setup separately and suggest the right tools for you. As well, you will find detailed reviews of each model in referral articles with 5 best to choose.
If you are a beginner DJ with a limited budget and interested in DJ controllers and software, visit right now the best DJ setup for beginners to perform like professionals.
The best DJ equipment for beginners – Guide 2020
Necessary DJ tools:
1. DJ HEADPHONES
One of the most useful tools in a DJ booth is good quality DJ headphones. It mostly depends on your personal preference on frequency response, comfort, and brand-name. Small headphones might work for some, but for DJs like me with a big head, we prefer big and round ear-pads.
Some useful features to check when buying DJ headphones
- Headphone type: Closed-back type to offer superb isolation from external sounds and background noises.
- Sound quality: A pair that offers deep and punchy bass, as well as clear mids and highs, will help you master your beat-matching skills. But in the end, the sound quality is a personal preference.
- Durability: No matter how much you will take care of your headphones, they will take a lot of abuse, so pick wisely.
As this is an article for the best DJ equipment for beginners, we could have picked some more affordable choices. But in my opinion, you can invest a bit more for a pair like those below those guarantee years of premium quality.
TOP 5 best DJ headphones:
- PIONEER HDJ-2000
- SENNHEISER HD 25-1 MKII
- V-MODA CROSSFADE M-100
- BEYERDYNAMIC DT 1350
- SENNHEISER HD8 DJ
For more info check the best DJ headphones and the best DJ headphones under $100.
2. DJ Speakers / Studio monitors
Studio monitors are not only perfect for recording studios but home DJ booths as well. Popular brand-names offer excellent sound quality at very affordable prices.
What to look when buying DJ speakers
- Woofer size: Pick a model with woofer size relatively big with your room size. A big size monitor won’t perform well in a tiny room.
- Output power: Do not expect much here. Anything above 40-50 Watts will do the job.
- Frequency response: Sound quality is subjective; what you might like somebody else might hates. In the end, the choice here is a personal preference.
TOP 5 best studio monitors
- YAMAHA HS 5/7/8
- KRK ROKIT G3 RP 5/6/8/10
- JBL LSR 305/308
- FOCAL ALPHA 50/65/80
- GENELEC 8010A
For more info and comparison of the submissions, check the best DJ speakers for home. If you want bigger and more powerful speakers, take a look at the best powered speakers for DJ’s.
DJ headphones and monitor speakers do not change in any situation, but sound sources and tools for beat-matching and mixing are various.
Best DJ equipment for beginners
PAIR OF CD PLAYERS + DJ MIXER
“The standard DJ equipment setup for beginners all around the world”
1. CD PLAYERS
Thankfully the cd players that exist in the market now offer extremely useful features. Even a beginner can take full advantage of a player, and its features. The budget varies from $500 for a decent semi-pro player to $2000 for the best player in the market. For a starter, a semi-pro solution is perfect, and prices don’t get higher than $500. All the latest cd players in the market support all audio formats and also have a USB port.
Some useful features to check when buying a digital player
- Audio formats: Does it support the audio format you want? (MP3, WAV, AIFF, etc.)
- USB port: Most new cd players have a USB port.
- Display function: It is handy to have a screen for track browsing, cue point display, and waveform display.
- Cue points: With cue points, you can save a particular spot of the song and then access it by pushing a single button.
- Loop Buttons: With a loop button, you can select a start and an endpoint (e.g., 4beats) of a track and repeat it.
- Beat Sync: Some players even offer a wireless connection between them and automatic beat-matching.
TOP 5 best media players for beginners:
- PIONEER CDJ 350
- GEMINI MDJ 1000
- RELOOP RMP
- AMERICAN AUDIO RADIUS 3000
- DENON DJ SC2900
In case you want to spend big you might want to take a look for the best cd players on the market.
2. DJ MIXER:
Regardless of your DJ mixer, there are many available options in the market. Since we are looking for a starter tool, the list has mainly 2-channel mixers but also budget-friendly 4-channel. All mixers offer the ability to control equalizers (low/middle/high), with sound effects, microphone input, “record out” etc.
Extra features to check when buying a DJ mixer
- The number of channels: 2-channel mixers are good to start, when you will improve yourself and mix more tracks or add acapella’s or play pro in a club then a 4-channel mixer is necessary.
- Equalizers: You can adjust the high, middle, and low frequencies and some mixers even offer full range cut.
- Build quality: A quality and durable construction are essential for all DJ equipment, but your mixer will probably get the most abuse than any other tool of your setup.
- Additional features: MIDI connectivity, USB inputs, and built-in audio interface are necessary if you see yourself using DJ software in the future.
TOP 5 of the best DJ mixers for beginners:
- ALLEN&HEATH XONE:23
- PIONEER DJM 350
- NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR KONTROL Z2
- RELOOP RMX-22I
- DJ TECH DIF1S
For more info, check the best DJ mixers for beginners.
PAIR OF TURNTABLES + DJ MIXER
“The original DJ equipment for beginners is alive and keeps rise in popularity”
There is a significant and constant enhanced production of vinyl turntables. When the output of the Technics 1200 turntable stopped in 2010, we had to recheck our list for new models; thankfully, we found some pretty good options for every available budget.
Features to consider when buying a DJ vinyl turntable
- Drive motor type: You can choose between direct or belt type, but for djing, we recommend direct type over the historical belt type.
- Tonearm: between S-shaped and straight arm, there is no right or wrong choice. But the overall tonearm nature is essential for sound quality and tracking ability.
- Pitch control: Same with cd players, pitch control, is one of the basic controls for beat-matching. Make sure that you can adjust the slider smoothly.
- Additional features: Digital outputs, master output, reverse, BPM counter, etc.
TOP 6 of the best DJ turntables for beginners:
- TECHNICS SL-1210MK2 Professional Turntable
- STANTON STR8-150
- RELOOP RP 8000
- AUDIO TECHNICA AT-LP120
- PIONEER PLX 500
- NUMARK TT 250
Regarding your mixer, applies the same with the above.
Setup A and B are probably the most expensive DJ equipment setups in the world!
DJ CONTROLLER + PC/LAPTOP with DJ SOFTWARE
“The most affordable and common choice of beginner DJ setups.”
1. DJ CONTROLLER
The big difference between setup C and D is the need or not of an external audio interface. Some DJ controllers include one, letting you with a simple USB connection to your PC/Laptop. Otherwise, the purchase of an audio interface is a must.
There are a few factors to consider when buying a DJ controller, but the most important is the DJ software that you are planning to use with it. Many controllers offer perfect integration with the major DJ software like Serato or Traktor pro. Although you can still manually map every controller to every software, why to get into that trouble when the package also offers free lite or even full version of it’s supported DJ software.
This is the most futuristic DJ equipment you will find in 2020!
Features to consider when buying a DJ controller
- Software integration: Serato DJ, Traktor PRO, etc.
- Audio interface built-in: All models in our list have a built-in audio interface.
- Build quality: For a tool that you will transfer it everywhere and will get abuse daily, you need one that can “take it”.
- Other functions: Except for the desks and mixer what other functions you find necessary? Effects, performance pads, MIDI, and more…
5 of the best DJ controllers for beginners:
- NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK2
- PIONEER DDJ-SB2
- NUMARK MIXTRACK PRO III
- DENON DJ MC4000
- BEHRINGER CMD STUDIO 4A
For more information, take a look at the best DJ controllers and best professional DJ controllers.
If you have already decided between Pioneer or Traktor, check the best all-in-one Pioneer controllers and the best DJ controllers for Traktor Pro.
You probably already own at least one PC or laptop, but I recommend to have one just for your music. DJ software and DAW’s use lots of CPU and memory, and you don’t want your laptop to freeze or “crack” during a live performance.
There are two major questions to ask yourself before your purchase except for characteristics
- Characteristics: Except for your graphics card, all the features of your pc/laptop must be pro. Ram, CPU, and display get the best possible. RAM over 8GB, CPU at I5 2.2GHz or higher and display bigger than 13 inches. Hard disc storage of 1TB is proper to start and upgrade later with an external disc.
- OS (Operating System): Between MAC and WINDOWS, there is no right or wrong choice. On the one hand, a bit pricey but with exceptional built quality, features and the only OS that supports Logic Pro. On the other hand, the most budget-friendly PC or laptop with equally well characteristics and reliability. Professional DJ’s and producers happen to use both, with a small preference for MAC products, but still, the choice is yours.
- Desktop or Laptop: If you ever imagine yourself playing outside of your bedroom then you have no option but to go for a laptop. Desktops are more powerful and are ideal for music production studios.
TOP 5 of the Best Laptops for DJing:
- APPLE MacBook PRO
- ACER ASPIRE V15 NITRO
- ASUS ZENBOOK PRO UX501VW
- DELL XPS 15
- ASUS ROG GL551
For more info and comparison of the submissions, check the best computer for djing and music production.
3. DJ SOFTWARE
Even cd and vinyl junkies at some point in their career tried djing with software, and many loved it. In 2016, with the right tools, you can achieve a live performance impossible to perform years ago with a standard setup. Plus a DJ software is more flexible and budget-friendly. The first 3 (Traktor, RekordBox, Serato) are the most popular DJ software’s used by professional DJs and musicians around the globe and these softwares offer a free trial version to try before you buy. Followed by two free DJ software in case you have a tight budget.
TOP 5 of the best DJ software:
- NATIVE INSTRUMENTS TRAKTOR PRO
- SERATO DJ
- REKORDBOX PIONEER DJ
- VIRTUAL DJ
We have reviewed those as well. Here at the best DJ software and best free software for beginners.
DJ CONTROLLER/TURNTABLE/CD PLAYER + AUDIO INTERFACE + PC/LAPTOP with DJ SOFTWARE
The most popular and with endless functionalities DJ setup used by the majority of professional DJs around the globe.
1. AUDIO INTERFACE
In a case, your DJ controller doesn’t have a built-in audio interface, or you want to connect your turntable to your DJ software and have a mixing experience at it’s finest, then you need an external audio interface to do the job. For your live performances, you need a small and light-weight tool with no need for numerous inputs/outputs
5 of the best audio interfaces for DJing:
- NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE AUDIO 6
- FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2I2
- FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 6
- NOVATION AUDIO HUB
- M-AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO
For more info and comparison of the submissions, check The best audio interfaces under $200.
And of course, the best Digital Vinyl System to make all that possible.
A DVS is a system that allows DJs to use turntables to control the media stored on the computer or hard drive.
These were our top choices for the best DJ equipment for beginners in 2020!
We hoped to answer your question of what equipment does a DJ need.
Many options out there to built and create your own DJ setup. As a beginner its typical to count every penny and go for an affordable setup with the DJ controller. If, however, you can invest more, then you will end up with a topnotch professional DJ setup. If you are ready to learn how to become a DJ, read here to do it properly.
If you are a beginner it may worth to rent DJ equipment and test it. Of course, this option is not available to most of you out there.
There is no right or wrong option, but it is good to perform with DJ equipment that you are familiar with. Otherwise, you will end up transferring your tools everywhere you go.
If you are already familiar with beatmatching and basic mixing, read how to master your mixing skills and How to become a professional DJ.
Before you go lest make sure you have everything from this DJ equipment checklist:
- PAIR OF CD-PLAYERS or DJ TURNTABLES
- DJ MIXER
- DJ HEADPHONES
- PAIR OF MONITOR SPEAKERS / DJ SPEAKERS
Feel free to drop your comments, questions, or personal experience with the above.