MAC or Windows? Laptop or Desktop? What computer specs do you need for music production? Today we will see the best computer for music production in 2022.
I guess that most of you already own at least one PC in your household. But what specs do you need and what stands out on a great computer for music production?
There are no computers build for music production. As better the computer specs, the better and smoother you will run your music production software, plugins, and more.
If your computer is powerful enough to overcome the requirements of your DAW (digital audio workstation), then you save big bucks since a pro PC is the most expensive outlet of your new home recording studio. It’s essential to keep your computer exclusively for music relatively projects. For example, after six years of electronic music production, I have used more than 1.8TB hard disc capacity. Softwares, music libraries, audio samples, demos, promos, video tutorials are just some of the many. The most powerful computer I could afford will not be enough if I decide to use it for everything.
As we commonly say, the word “best” is subjective, and you can not ideally compare any equipment with another. Our choices have An according to features, budget, personal experience, user ratings, and reviews fount on forums and online stores.
Top 5 Best Desktop Computer for Music Production – Reviews
1. Apple iMac 27″ Retina 5K display, 3.0GHz 6-Core Intel i5, 8GB RAM
The best iMac for music production and the most popular option for studio and bedroom producers. From amateur to professionals is an excellent choice worth investing. Mac is exclusively compatible with Logic Pro and Pro Tools, two very popular and professional music production softwares to start composing and making music.
Depends on your available budget, you select the best possible characteristics, but even the low-range model with an i5 3.0GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard disc, and a 27-inch (diagonal) retina 5k display, will work perfectly in your studio for the next 5-6 years. iMac wears one of the best CPU for music production out there.
The new 6-Core 8th-Generation i5 processor in every new iMac model is all you need in your studio to run fast and smooth all your softwares. Plus, with the 5K – 27″ display, you will be able to view your DAW on a massive scale. Sometimes you will have to open different plug-in effects or instruments, and with the 27″ display, you will have the place to view all simultaneously.
Apple iMac is probably the best desktop for music production if you can afford one. It is the choice for many music producers, photographers, designers, and most artistic professions out there.
A stand out feature of this iMac is the two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports that deliver up to 40Gb/s data transfer. This is four times faster than USB 3.0 and 40 times faster than USB 2.0 In music, and especially when recording, timing is essential, so connect your audio interface with Thunderbolt 3 and produce carefree.
With a Retina display and the ideal size and weight, this iMac will fit anywhere. The price range is not so high as you might think, and if you add premium characteristics and design, this is the machine you need. It definitely worth the first place of the best computers for music production.
2. Apple Mac mini, 3.0GHz 6-core Intel Core i5 processor, 256GB
For those who want Mac computer but cannot afford one, there is a cheaper option with which you don’t lose any of the pro features of iMac.
Do not frighten form the product name, “mini” because it applies only to its size. It includes the same characteristics as you would find in any other pro model and is also very affordable for a Mac product.
The 8th generation 3.0Ghz 6-core processor with the 8GB 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM will guarantee excellent and fast performance, even when running multiple softwares. There is also a Quad-core i3 Intel Core Processor with a 128 GB hard drive version if you want a more affordable and lighter option.
It has an HDMI port so that you will be able to add a Mac Monitor, TV, projector, or any other display you want. The four Thunderbolt 3 USB ports that can transfer up to 40Gbp/s is everything you will ever need in your home recording studio.
The Apple Mac mini is probably the best mini PC for music production in the market.
3. Apple Mac Pro desktop 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 256GB Flash
The beast of Apple can handle situations you cannot imagine that you will need in your studio. If budget is not an issue for you, this is the best computer for music production.
With a 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 12MB L3 cache, and Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, you will never have to worry about slow performance when you produce music. 2GB storage space and the reliability of Apple make it a desirable piece of equipment for every producer.
It includes four USB 3 ports, six Thunderbolt 2 ports, Dual Gigabit Ethernet, 3.5 mm headphone jack, and of course, an HDMI 1.4 port to connect the monitor of your desire.
This MAC pro may be an unreachable dream for a beginner. Some may say that you can build a windows PC with half the money. Just, you cannot add build quality, design, and usability in your cart. If you can afford, go for it.
4. Dell XPS 8930-7764BLK-PUS Tower Desktop
DELL XPS 8930 is a very powerful desktop, and since you can build it however you wish by choosing the processor, RAM, and hard drive, you adjust it entirely to your needs and budget.
The processor is 8th Generation Intel i7-8700 6-Core 3.20 GHz with an 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory. The 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive that will store your music for the next years, and a DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) to burn your music on CDs.
XPS 8930 tower desktop offers a total of 11 USB ports, including two USB Type-C ports – one in front – plus an additional three front-facing USB-A ports. Good enough specs to give it the time for the best Dell computer for music production.
A worth mention feature of the XPS Tower is the GRAMMY Award-winning Waves MaxxAudio technology with MaxxSense. It adapts to the environment, making external speakers sound fuller, louder, and more precise. It is precisely what you want if you do not have an audio interface in your studio just yet.
With a very affordable price tag, you get an excellent piece of equipment with superb features to cover your need in your home recording studio.
5. HP Envy 795-0039C – Intel Core i7 – 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM
For Windows users, the HP ENVY 795 is probably the best value for money choice in the market. It is a very affordable purchase for beginners and with an Apple-like design.
ENVY 795 offers the 8th generation Intel Core i7-8700 6-Core processor 3.2 GHz with 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM Memory, which is also upgradable to 64GB. A really powerful machine to handle your softwares and applications.
It is included a 2TB HDD and 128GB SSD hard drive to transfer files safe and fast. The same with the above DELL desktop, it offers a total of 11 USB ports, including one USB Type-C port in the front. As well, an HDMI and display port to connect up to 3 monitors to expand your viewing space. Desirable characteristics for this price range.
If you have already chosen your next music production computer, take a look at our post with 20 sound recording and music production tips to increase your productivity.
Furthermore, we have a list with the top 10 best laptops for music production if you are a producer who travels often.
Desktop or Laptop For Music Production
MAC or WindowsFor Music Production
1. The desktop has started to lose popularity and slowly becoming a thing of the past. Although desktops are still winning in a couple of features, compare to laptops. At first, desktops offer better characteristics for the same amount of money compared to laptops. Secondly, they include more inputs-outputs, which are very useful when you will upgrade your studio equipment. Last, with a desktop, you have the opportunity for upgrades, add RAM, hard-disc, CPU is a much easier task compared to laptops.
On the other hand, now, by choosing a laptop, you have extreme portability. If you travel and perform live, your laptop with a software and a few tools can be your studio on the road. A note here is that with a small display, you will probably need a bigger monitor to work efficiently in a studio.
2. Is MAC or WINDOWS better for music production? There is no right or wrong choice here. Either you are an Apple addict or prefer Windows OS, there is only one real issue to consider. Is it compatible with the DAW of your preference? If you do not know, check here the best music production software to find out. If you have not decided on your DAW yet, then there is mostly an option depending on your budget and money you are willing to spend. There are recording studios as well as professional musicians who use both systems. I believe a debate about which one is better is not necessary. I use Mac tools, and I’m delighted. Just try to include minimum specs of the recommendations below, and you are good to go.
What computer specs do I need for music production:
- CPU: The processor is a crucial issue. Along with the RAM, they are responsible for the speed and accuracy that you can work on your projects. The best CPU for music production is anything above a 2.8GHz dual-core processor to run your DAW, plugins, and DJ softwares without problems.
- RAM: If you combine the above with a RAM over 8GB, you will have good results. However, the best RAM for music production would ideally be 12GB or more.
- Hard disc: With the probability for an external hard drive, a 500GB and above will cover your needs, to begin with. Going for an SSD card for faster transfer is essential.
- Screen Display: As bigger as better, you will view your projects. Anything above 13″ will be enough to display your software correctly on a laptop. 21-inches or and more will be satisfyingly big for any home recording studio. If not, you always have the choice to add an extra monitor.
Another thing to consider when you are buying your next computer is connectivity. All PCs offer USB ports to connect your audio interfaces, such as the Best Audio Interface under $200, and the best USB audio interface for music production. There are, however, some premium audio interfaces that feature FIREWIRE, THUNDERBOLT, or PCIe connection.
So keep that in mind. Otherwise, you will have to do additional research for cables and adaptors to connect your computer with your audio interface finally.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What kind of computer do I need for music production? The most important things to consider on a PC for music production are great specs and full connectivity. Make sure you pick the best possible CPU, RAM, and SSD hard drive.
- Are gaming computers suitable for music production? Yes, gaming laptops and desktops usually pack powerful CPU, and RAM, which is ideal for music production as well.
- How much RAM do I need for music production? Most computers out there come with at least 8GB RAM memory, which will be sufficient for beginners. 12RAM or more will be more effective to handle properly all your softwares, and plugins.
- Can I use two computers for music production? No. What’s the point of doing that?. Maybe go for two monitor screens — one to view your DAW and on the other one to work your plugins, virtual instruments, effects, cheat sheets, etc..
- Should I build my own computer for music production? You can always start building your own computer for music production, but only if you have previous experience and knowledge of what you are doing. If you want to become a music producer, stay on that. Do not waste any resources (time or money) on irrelevant things to music.
- Are there computers built or designed for music production? There are no computers, desktops or laptops build specifically for music production. It’s all about the specs, brand quality, and reliability.
Those are our choices for the best computer for music production. You can find hundreds of PCs and Laptops that will work sufficiently in your studio, but those models above stand out of the rest.
Apple computers will get the job done in any home recording studio. There are, of course, some great alternative options by Dell, Asus, and HP, with cheap computers for music production.
Once again, you can’t go wrong whether you choose MAC or WINDOWS computer for your home studio. If you already have an audio interface, check for the proper connectivity. If you have already bought a music production software, check if it’s compatible with MAC or Win operating systems. Logic Pro X, for example, it runs exclusively on MAC OS.
If you have gone the whole article without deciding which is the best computer for music production for you, remember to look for good specs (Processor and RAM are crucial), connectivity, and compatibility, as we just mentioned above.
If you are looking for a complete guide to start music production, check how to build your home recording studio with $500.
Feel free to post your thoughts, comments, or questions below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?